At West End Academy, we believe that good attendance and punctuality is vital if pupils are to achieve their full potential. The school has clear guidelines and practices in place to encourage all pupils to attend school as regularly as possible. We believe good attendance will help pupils to achieve the best possible learning outcomes. Everyone in our whole school community takes responsibility for attendance. Attending school regularly means:
· Pupils can make the most of their education, improving their chances in adult life.
· Pupils will develop their social skills, such as making and keeping friendships.
· A regular and punctual attendance pattern will help children when they enter the world of work.
We reward good attendance in a variety of ways.
Displayed in the school hall is our Attendance Tree for years 1 to 6. On the tree, each class has their own branch. Each week, children in years 1 to 6 have their attendance monitored in preparation for Tuesday’s assembly. In Tuesday’s assembly, each class has their attendance percentage from the previous week shared with the school and classes receive a reward:
· For 100% attendance – a golden apple for their branch, a golden trophy for their classroom and 5 points.
· For an attendance of 98-99% – a red apple for their branch and 3 points.
· For an attendance of 97% – a green leaf for their branch and 2 points.
· For an attendance of 96% – an orange leaf for their branch and 1 point.
At the end of each half-term, the class with the most points on their branch will receive a small monetary amount to spend on a new resource or reward for their class.
Children who achieve 98+% attendance each week will earn themselves a golden raffle ticket. Each class has a golden box where the weekly tickets are collected. At the end of the half-term, all the collected tickets are brought into assembly and one winner from each class will be drawn. Each winner will receive a £5 voucher to spend.
At the end of the year, the children with a yearly attendance of 100% will receive a certificate and a £5 gift voucher.
Please click here to find more advice for parents.